CPS reveals 13 more innocent men were put through rape hell after key evidence was withheld
THIRTEEN rape cases collapsed last year after bungling prosecutors failed to disclose vital evidence – causing suspects to be “dragged through hell”.
CPS lawyers have admitted the men were charged with sex crimes but the cases were thrown out at the eleventh hour when it emerged material was not passed to the defence.
It not only means innocent men were wrongly accused and put through years of hell, but also dangerous criminals may have escaped justice because of the blunders.
The 13 failed cases date back to 2016 to 2017 but don’t include the four rape trials that collapsed in the past month, Daily Mail reports.
Last week, Oxford University student Oliver Mears was cleared of rape just days before he was due to stand trial after two years of torment.
A newly-discovered diary came to light which led to the case collapsing and the CPs were slammed by Judge Jonathan Black for “unnecessary delays”.
Oliver, who had pleaded not guilty to the charges, had taken time out of his studies at St Hugh’s College because of stress after facing the allegations.
The latest shocking figures were revealed in the House of Lords earlier this month with two per cent of rape prosecutions dropped over a failure to disclose evidence.
A spokesman for the CPS told The Mail on Sunday: “The two per cent represents 13 rape cases that were not proceeded with in 2016/17 after being charged due to a failure to disclose unused material.
“This represents 0.3 per cent of the 5,190 rape cases we prosecuted in 2016-17.”
Among the 13 dropped cases were four agricultural students wrongly accused of gang-raping a woman at a college ball.
The men said they were “dragged through hell” for two years because the detective in the case failed to disclose what the judge called “game-changing” evidence.
Head of the CPS Alison Saunders has been accused of complacency after a string of failed rape cases but she claims police do not need to investigate “every avenue” of people’s lives, such as social media.
Liam Allan, 22, faced 20 years in jail but was cleared by 40,000 texts from his alleged victim that cops hid.
The criminology student, of Penge, South East London, was hugged by tearful mum Lorraine and surrounded by supporters as he walked free at Croydon Crown Court.
The woman claimed she was subjected to six rapes and six sex assaults over 14 months but police sat on messages where she had begged Liam for sex.
Just days later, it emerged another man had been charged with rape after a police blunder.
Isaac Itiary was accused of raping a child under 16 but the case against him collapsed when it emerged cops had failed to disclose thousands of crucial text messages.
They are believed to show the girl, who was 14 and 15 at the time, had claimed she was 19.
His prosecution involved the same officer as the Liam Allan case, Mark Azariah, who is still reportedly working at Scotland Yard’s sexual offences unit and has not been suspended.
And just last week, Samson Makele was cleared after it emerged images from his phone showing him hugging the alleged victim were not disclosed.
The 28-year-old was accused of raping the woman after they met at Notting Hill Carnival in 2016 but the photos shared the pair naked and cuddling in bed.
During a parliamentary debate last week, former Lord Chief Justice Lord Thomas said: “We can no longer continue this failure of accountability… It is a disgrace – I do not use that word lightly – that this problem has been left unresolved for so long.”